The Bastoni Bombshell Falters: Hansi Flick Said "Style Doesn't Fit," Barcelona Pulled Back — Inter Holds at €70 Million

Tuna Başkan
Tuna Başkan
calendar_month May 21, 2026 visibility 6 views

One of the longest-running transfer dramas of this summer played out on the Bastoni-Barcelona axis. Months of Barcelona negotiations for Inter Milan's 27-year-old Italian defender Alessandro Bastoni are reported to have ended. According to reports from Mundo Deportivo and Diario Sport, the Catalan club has pulled back from the Bastoni transfer due to Inter's €70 million valuation and manager Hansi Flick's doubts about the player. ESPN and beIN Sports also confirmed this week that the developments are unfavorable for Barça.

The first major obstacle is financial. Inter Milan CEO Giuseppe Marotta and sporting director Piero Ausilio clearly said Bastoni is not for sale. According to Italian outlet Calciomercato, Inter is demanding €75-80 million for Bastoni — a figure considered hard to overcome under Barça's financial constraints. Bastoni's contract running until 2028 keeps Inter strong at the negotiating table. Barça's obligation to prioritize a star striker after Robert Lewandowski's departure also pushed Bastoni to second place.

The second obstacle came from the manager. According to Foot Africa and Matteo Moretto reports, Hansi Flick expressed concerns about Bastoni's technical capacity and his compatibility with Barça's playing style. Sporting director Deco had been laying the ground for the Bastoni transfer for months, but Flick's extremely practical playing concept (constant passing, positional mobility, high possession rate) clashes with Bastoni's more "classical" centre-back role. As a result, Deco was forced to seek alternative defensive targets at Flick's instruction.

The third critical factor is Gerard Martín's development. According to Mundo Deportivo, the 23-year-old Catalan defender formed incredible harmony with Pau Cubarsí, creating the season's brightest defensive duo. This showed that the left-centre-back position was no longer an area requiring urgent reinforcement. While Barça invested in attacking, Martín's peak performance made an expensive transfer like Bastoni illogical. Bologna's Jhon Lucumí (valued at €25 million) entered the picture as a cheap alternative.

Bastoni's own position is also complex. According to Tuttosport and SempreInter reports in April, the Italian defender wants to go to Barcelona and conveyed this message to Inter management. But Bastoni is "happy at Inter, grateful to his teammates and supporters" — it's said he "won't tear his hair out" if the transfer doesn't happen. The player who's been part of Inter's success reaching the 2023 and 2025 Champions League finals has won 9 major championships (including this season's Serie A-Coppa Italia double). According to Diario Sport's latest story, Bastoni had agreed personal terms with Barça until 2031 — but with Flick's final word, this transfer is "on hold" for now. Liverpool and Arsenal are also on Bastoni's list — the summer transfer window hasn't closed yet.

Source: Based on reports from Mundo Deportivo, Diario Sport, beIN Sports, ESPN, Tuttosport, SempreInter, Foot Africa, Football Transfers and TransferFeed on Alessandro Bastoni's Barcelona transfer.

Tuna Başkan
Written By

Tuna Başkan

share Share

Discuss this in Forum

Join the conversation with thousands of sports fans. Share your opinion, predict the results, and earn reputation points!

GO TO FORUM

forum Comments (0)

chat_bubble

No results found